Topic: Some children spend hours every day on smartphones.
Why is this the case?
Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
The model writing Band 8+: Click here to listen.
In contemporary times, there has been a conspicuous surge in the number of hours that children spend engaging with smartphones on a daily basis. The impetus behind this palpable trend, in my estimation, can be attributed to the inescapable ubiquity of these handheld gadgets, and represents a disturbingly deleterious development.
The primary catalyst for this irrefutable phenomenon is unbridled access to these portable devices. Since the advent of the original iPhone, scores of phone manufacturers have replicated Apple’s ground-breaking innovation, resulting in an unprecedented proliferation of smartphones that pervade virtually every household. These devices are predominantly owned by overtaxed and stressed-out parents, who are often willing to acquiesce to their children’s demands to indulge in smartphone activities such as listening to music, streaming movies, and otherwise entertaining themselves. In numerous parts of the globe, parents even proactively purchase smartphones specifically for their children’s amusement. Consequently, the augmented time spent by children on their smartphones is an amalgamation of unmitigated availability, coupled with an innate desire to use these devices.
The ramifications of heightened smartphone usage among children are nothing short of catastrophic. For one, smartphones have supplanted healthier habits that children used to indulge in. Children reared prior to the advent of portable smartphones were more inclined to read books, socialize with peers, and participate in outdoor activities that engendered robust physical, intellectual, and emotional well-being. Furthermore, the very act of engaging with these handheld devices is highly detrimental to normative cognitive development. A vast number of scholars contend that the spike in dissociative anxiety disorders in the twenty-first century can be directly attributed to the technological epoch in general, and smartphones in particular.
In summation, children’s protracted smartphone usage is the upshot of the ubiquitous accessibility of these devices, and this trend is antithetical to healthy lifestyles. As governing bodies are incapable of curtailing the usage of smartphones, it falls upon parents to judiciously regulate their children’s screen time.
Vocabulary and collocations:
- Conspicuous surge – This refers to a noticeable increase.
- Palpable trend – This means a trend that can be felt or seen easily.
- Inescapable ubiquity – This refers to the fact that these devices are everywhere and cannot be avoided.
- Disturbingly deleterious – This means that this trend is harmful and damaging.
- Unbridled access – This refers to unlimited and unchecked access.
- Unprecedented proliferation – This means an unprecedented growth or spread.
- Overtaxed and stressed-out parents – This collocation means parents who are overworked and under a lot of stress.
- Indulge in smartphone activities – This means to engage in activities associated with smartphones.
- Amalgamation of unmitigated availability – This refers to an amalgamation of limitless access.
- Augmented time spent – This means increased amount of time spent.
- Robust physical, intellectual, and emotional well-being – This collocation means strong, healthy, and vibrant physical, mental, and emotional states.
- Spike in dissociative anxiety disorders – This refers to a sudden increase in anxiety disorders where patients dissociate from their surroundings.
- Technological epoch – This means the current period of time dominated by technology and technological advancements.
- Antithetical to healthy lifestyles – This means that this trend is completely opposite to a healthy lifestyle.
- Curtailing the usage – This means limiting or controlling the usage.